FTL: Advanced Edition is an upcoming major update for FTL: Faster Than Light. This new version of the game will add several features to the original and will be a free download for players who already own the original. It is scheduld for release sometime in early 2014.
Advanced Edition introduces several new features to the game, as well as a new sector and events.
Taken from Subset's official FTL site :
- Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.
- Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.
- New Sector and Events: Our writer Tom Jubert has returned along with special guest writer Chris Avellone (of Planescape fame), who managed to find some time for us between his work on Project Eternity and Wasteland 2. They’ve been helping us add a new sector and scatter new events throughout the rest of the game.
- New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.
- New Race: on FTL writer Tom Jubert's blog, he specifies that there will be a new race that will be closely tied to the new sector, which has been tentatively named the "Abandoned Sector".
- This new race has been confirmed on Subset's official FTL site  to be called the "Lanius": A race that needs no oxygen to survive and drains oxygen from whatever room they are in. Other updates from this news include the new Lanius ship and its layouts, a new "layout C" for all but one of the existing ships and the new Lanius one, the ability to man the sensors and doors subsystems, the ability to rename crewmembers mid-game and differently colored individuals of the same race, to make identifying them easier.